A Christ-centered preschool with both half day and full day options.
SS Philip and James School is part of the school system of the Diocese of Youngstown and, as such, is under the direction of the Bishop, the Diocesan Superintendent of Schools, the Stark County Catholic Schools President, the Pastor and the Principal.
You are the prime motivator and the most important person in your child’s life. Our school strives to build on the values and foundations you have already established in your family and to work together to provide an education of academic excellence rooted in the Gospel. It is our goal to affirm the gift of life, the uniqueness of each person, and to make a difference in this world by how we live our lives together.PHILOSOPHY
SS Philip and James School, established in 1875, is the only Catholic school in Canal Fulton. It promotes Christian community and sound educational practices. The preschool is an extension of and are the roots for the relationship with God we strive to cultivate at SPJ.
Our challenging curriculum focuses on the spiritual, emotional, academic and physical development of our students to reach their full potential as Christian individuals, committed to service, justice and democracy in our ever changing society.PROGRAM
Because children learn through activity, part of the day will be spent at the play and learning centers around the room. Additionally, students aged 5 and 4 and a half will have break out sessions from the 3's and younger 4's to work on higher level development, according to the Ohio Academic Content Standards for Early Learning and Development
- Blocks: Large wooden blocks, large cardboard blocks, small table blocks, legos, beads, peg board, cars, trucks, people and animals.
- Housekeeping: Toy furniture, kitchen utensils, dolls and dress-up clothes.
- Math: Number puzzles, counting frames, games and geometric shapes.
- Writing and Art: Crayons, pencils, clay, markers, collage material and painting.
- Language and Listening: Books with tapes, puzzles, alphabet games, color games and book corner
- Spanish: Students are taught the basics of a language that is growing in significance each year..
The children will also be participating in large group activities. These will include:
- Religion: Themes are the child, the five senses, family, friends, creation, Thanksgiving, Advent, Christmas, feelings, Easter, new life, prayer and church.
- Physical Fitness and Sensory-Motor Training: Activities will include body image, space and direction, balance, moving and eye-hand coordination. We will be using bean bags, balls, a parachute, activity records, rhythms, dance and a balance beam.
- Language Arts: Concepts covered will be identifying sounds, rhyming words, matching like items, colors, opposites classification, sequencing events and alphabet recognition when age appropriate. We will be using some language experience stories, “big books” for shared reading and an introduction to letters.
- Science and Social Studies: These subjects will be centered around themes of holidays, safety, seasons, animals and occupations.
- Centers for Learning: The students will take part in center-based activities that will allow for differentiated instruction and modes of learning.
- Art: Besides the activities at the writing and art center, children will be having daily experiences with cutting, coloring and pasting. There will be a painting easel in the classroom.
- Math: Activities with real objects for counting, grouping, classifying and counting rods, and walk-on number lines and tiles will be used.
- Music: Music will be used in teaching many concepts, for religious expression and in games and dances.
- Technology: Students will learn and improve skills in computer usage through educational programs and games.
- Hot Lunch: The all day students will have the option to enjoy hot lunch provided for the SPJ Elementary students.
- Walks to Canal Fulton Library: The students will get to enjoy trips to the library for stories read aloud and other exciting experiences.
- Mentor Program w/ SPJ School Students: Preschool students will have activities such as reading buddies with students from Ss. Philip and James School.
- Outdoor Play: Students will have the opportunity for outdoor play each day.
- Learn more: Preschool Daily Schedule
Diocesan Preschool Program Philosophy
Statement on Developmentally Appropriate Preschool Curriculum and Activities