STA is proud to offer a variety of additional services and resources to our students beyond traditional instruction. One of those services is School-Based Counseling, offered through our partnerships with CommQuest and MEG. We are proud to offer our students in-school care options each day. A student's mental health is just as important to us as their academic success, character development and spiritual journey.
At Aquinas, we have two specialists on staff dedicated to student success and mental health.
Kimberly Wetzel, MSW, LSW, is employed by MEG, and focuses on social work in our school. She provides the following services to Knights in need:
- Classroom observation, teacher consultation, and school records review
- Conversations with students
- Review of academic and attendance records
- Behavior rating scales
- Social/emotional status scales
- Language skill screening
- Parent/guardian-provided background information and developmental history
- Counseling: Counseling services are limited to situations that directly affect a student's overall success. Counseling on an individual or group basis in the school setting is limited to the school day. Some student counseling needs are best met through outside community counseling. Parents will be provided with a referral list in these situations. If additional counseling is recommended, students may be referred to the St. Thomas Aquinas mental health counselor, Marie Klemens, for more services.
Marie Klemens, LPC, LCDC, is employed by CommQuest and is in our building three times per week. She is also available on-call for emergency situations. She focuses on mental health and counseling services in our school. She can provide the following services to our Knights:
- Counseling Sessions (180 free minutes of counseling services)
- Present treatment options (mental health, substance abuse or addiction)
- Emotional and mental support
- Management of anxiety and stress
- Recommendations for trauma response
- De-escalation tactics
- Provides regularly scheduled counseling appointments with students
St. Thomas Aquinas CARE Team: Each month, our CARE Team meets to identify the needs of students and their families. Our care team is comprised of selected teachers, administrators and our mental health professionals.
IF YOU OR SOMEONE YOU KNOW IS IN NEED: Call or text the 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline at 988 (para ayuda en español, llame al 988). You can also contact the Crisis Text Line (text HELLO to 741741). Both services provide 24-hour, confidential support to anyone in suicidal crisis or emotional distress. Contact social media outlets directly if you are concerned about a friend’s social media updates or dial 911 in an emergency.
IF YOU OR SOMEONE YOU KNOW IS IN CRISIS: Text 741741 or Call 844-604-LIFE
Mental Illness Awareness